Thursday, August 27, 2009

It Might Promote...Wait, What?

The first night my roommates and I went out to party when they got back to Manhattan, one of them came back with a case of purple and white Bud Light cans. I remember thinking that was one of the coolest things I'd seen on a beer can, our school colors. My only question was, "Why didn't I think of that?"



Apparently Bud Light sales are down for the first time in twenty some years. Apparently Anheuser-Busch came up with an amazing idea here. Apparently universities aren't exactly thrilled about it.

At first I thought I kind of understood what they were upset about. My thoughts immediately went to them wanting a share of the profits. And it turns out that is part of the story here. A number of schools have threatened lawsuits, citing trademark concerns. But my question is this: can a school really "trademark" their colors? I bet if they were offered a cut of the sales, they'd think twice about it.

But the thing that really caught my eye was that universities felt these cans would "promote binge drinking among college students." That's a joke, right? Cause college kids don't ever, ya know...drink...a lot. I had to do a double-take when I read that, because it just didn't make sense to me.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that alcoholism is a very serious problem and that alcohol-related deaths are no laughing matter. But a freshman isn't going to start drinking because the color of his beer can matches his shirt. He might choose the purple and white Bud Light can over, say, a Natty Light can, but either way he's gonna throw back a couple brews and have a good time.

No comments: